4 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
Two slices freshly peeled ginger, about ¼-inch wide
4 cups pecan halves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 300° F
- In a small saucepan, mix together the 4 tablespoons sugar, water, oil, cinnamon sticks, cloves and ginger. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until the sugar is fully melted about 2 minutes. Set aside and allow it to steep for about 10 minutes.
- Place the pecans in a large bowl. Strain the syrup over the pecans to remove the cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Toss to coat the nuts completely.
- Transfer the pecans to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment and lightly coated with non-stick spray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until they begin to brown. During the baking, take them out of the oven 2 or 3 times to stir so they bake evenly.
- While the pecans are baking, mix the salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar, cinnamon, ginger and cloves together, and set aside until ready to use.
- Remove the pecans from the oven and immediately toss them with the spice mixture. Cool the nuts completely in the pan on a wire rack. The pecans can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.